1.05.2013

Think You Can't Travel? Change Your Mind


It surprises me how often people tell me that they are stuck in life and unable to travel. There are many excuses, some of which are very valid (money, time family obligations etc.) 

I've traveled to many places throughout my life, so people often ask me how I do it, or tell me I'm lucky. I don't know how to respond. I feel obliged to give people some great secret even though I don't have one. This got me thinking, how do I do it?

I've always worked, had plenty of home obligations and never had a large sum of money in my bank account but somehow there was always opportunities to travel. Was it just that I was more passionate about travel then others? Possibly, but I felt like there was more to it.

I realized that I approached my daily life like a traveler; to get me through the lean times and inspire me to see the world. The secret is that traveling is a mindset. It's not luck, or a magical gift some people have, it's a way you view the world. You can experience traveling no matter where you are. It’s about being open and viewing the world with a new set of eyes, being accepting of others' beliefs, way of life and willing to learn. 

I love to travel; I’ve been to many places around the world and plan on expanding that list throughout my life. Over the past year I have made some drastic changes in my life that have required me to shift my view of traveling. 

I quit my job to do writing, coaching, speaking and marketing work. This required an adjustment in everything I do. How I spend money, where I could travel to and changing my daily habits. The risk was great for me, mainly because of the fears it brought up. How would I survive without the regular flow of income? Would I be able to follow one of my primary passions and see the world?

Instead of being paralyzed by my fears of being trapped in the stability and stagnation of suburbia, I decided to shift my viewpoint. I would search out travel experiences at home and throughout northern California where I could afford to explore for the time being.  

When I am traveling I am the best version of me I know. I am open, I am forgiving, I am patient, I am an explorer, I am excited about life, I talk to strangers, I try new things…I decided to apply this mindset to everything I do at home. It has been eye opening. Sure I still can’t wait to hop on a plane overseas but the things I have learned at home have been just as life changing as my journeys to foreign lands. 

I've posted twelve tips below with links to details on how to travel at home and experience life around you in a new way. Several of the tips focus on preparing for your next big trip away from home as well. Remember there is always a new experience right in front of you. Traveling is about the journey, the people you meet, the things you experience, learning. Life is happening everywhere, open your eyes and let the traveling start now. Remember, traveling is a mindset.

How do you practice being a traveler every day? Share your tips so we can spread the love and inspire others to get a fresh perspective on life! If you know someone who is stuck in a non-travel rut and needs a new perspective on life please share this article with them. 

Traveling is a Mindset
#1:  Watch the Sunrise, Watch the Sunset
#2:  Let Adventure Unfold Without Anger or Resistance
#3:  Take Photos
#4:  Pay Attention to Nature
#5:  Learn a New Skill
#6:  Be Grateful For What You Have
#7:  Be Spontaneous
#8:  Keep a Day Trip Bag Ready to Go
#9:  Create a Travel Vision Board
#10:  Cook
#11:  Be Prepared to Travel
#12:  Don't Wait

No comments:

Post a Comment