6.11.2013

Simple Strawberry Summer Salad


I love making salads, they’re refreshing, taste good and mostly good for you.  What could be better as we approach summer?  The secret to a good salad is a variety of textures along with complementary flavors, so have fun. When I’m tired or feeling lazy I don’t like to make salad dressing, so I try to focus on making the ingredients work well with a simple drizzle of oil and vinegar.  This sweet and savory salad comes together great and is super simple to make.

I’m not much into measurements when it comes to salad (baking yes).  I believe cooking is art; you just have to let it flow.  For salads you just have to adjust ingredients based on how much you like to eat, what you like to eat and how many you are serving.  I love my greens and when I make a personal salad I start with 1-2 cups of greens depending on how hungry I am and go from there. I’ve put rough estimates for an individual salad.

Simple Strawberry Salad

Ingredients
Organic Baby Greens, 1-2 cups
Sliced raw almonds, ¼ cup
Sliced strawberries, 1-2 large
Diced cucumber, 1 small
A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
A drizzle of balsamic vinegar or balsamic reduction
A pinch of sea salt

Combine all ingredients, toss and serve.

Great additions to this salad
Diced Avocado…I have an avocado obsession and put it in everything
Goat Cheese

Spice it up…
Diced fresh Jalapeno
Chopped fresh cilantro

Change it up
The Strawberries can be replaced with raspberries, blackberries or blueberries or combination of berries. 
The almonds can be replaced with walnuts, pecans, cashews…really any nut you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment